OceanPredict (OP) contributes to the development of new science capabilities through active working groups, called the OP Task Teams (or TTs). OceanPredict currently operates six different task teams, which are all working in exiting science areas, complementing each other. They collaborate and reach out to external science and research communities, linking OceanPredict into an international ocean science landscape:
- Coastal Ocean and Shelf Seas TT(Villy Kourafalou (University of Miami) Pierre De Mey-Frémaux (CNRS/LEGOS) and Alexander Kurapov (NOAA))
- Coupled Prediction TT (Santha Akella (GSFC/NASA), Kristian Mogensen, (ECMWF) and Chris Harris (Met Office))
- Data Assimilation TT (Outgoing co-chairs are Matt Martin (Met Office) and Andy Moore (UCSC) and incoming oco-chairs Ann Kristin Sperrevik (Met.no) and Sergey Frolov (NOAA/PSL))
- Intercomparison and Validation TT (Fabrice Hernandez (MOi/IRD) and Greg Smith (ECCC))
- Marine Ecosystem Analysis and Prediction TT (Stefano Ciavatta, PML, Liuqian Yu (Hong Kong University) ,and outgoing co-chair Marjy Friedrichs (VIMS))
- Observing System Evaluation TT (Elisabeth Remy (Mercator Ocean International) and Yosuke Fujii (MRI/JMA))
These teams focus on relevant science topics (listed below) which are important to OceanPredict and the wider ocean science community. This OP effort is underpinned by interaction with international research programmes and expert science groups. The OceanPredict task teams are co-chaired by experts in the respective fields of science.