ForeSea – an OceanPredict contribution to the UN Decade
ForeSea’s vision is for strong international coordination and community building of an ocean prediction capacity for the future. The overarching goal are to
- improve the science, capacity, efficacy, use, and impact of ocean prediction systems and
- build a seamless ocean information value chain, from observations to end users, for economic and societal benefit.
These transformative goals aim to make ocean prediction science more impactful and relevant.
ForeSea’s vision is to extend and transform the current ocean prediction capacity with the following high-level objectives:
- Coordinate ocean prediction world-wide in a sustainable manner towards maximum societal benefits
- Maximize the benefits of ocean observations for ocean predictions and societal impact
- Support development and maturation of the full-length operational oceanography value chain, from observations to end users, by using best practices and coordinating the integration of existing and new partners (international science initiatives and intergovernmental organizations)
- Advance the science behind ocean prediction and its connection to the other components of the earth system, including the atmosphere, land, cryosphere, continental hydrology, etc.
- Make ocean prediction science more impactful and relevant by collaborating with socioeconomic experts and stakeholders to quantify the impact and utility of ocean prediction for science and society, especially in coastal areas (in collaboration with CoastPredict)
It is important to note that, while this programme will be hosted by OceanPredict, this is not business as usual. This programme builds on both OceanPredict and the larger community capacity to address challenges by 2030 that cannot be achieved by OceanPredict alone.